When seeking to register an automobile that was previously titled out-of-state, a VIN Verification is required to title the vehicle in Florida.
82042: Vehicle Identification Number and Odometer Verification
Our staff is able to complete vehicle identification number (VIN) verifications, weather permitting, however your transaction time may be longer due to performing the VIN Verification.
There are other options available that can cut down on your transaction time by having it completed prior to visiting one of our Service Centers by one of the options listed below:
What requires a VIN Verification:
- All used motor vehicles
- Trucks & Pick-up trucks
- Motor Homes
- Trailers with a weight of 2,000 pounds or more
- Utility Trailers weighing 2000 pounds or more
- Box Trailers weighing 2000 pounds or more
- Semitrailers weighing 2000 pounds or more
Vehicles entering Florida from a foreign country must have the vehicle identification number verified by a DMV Compliance Examiner/Inspector, including dealer transactions.
VIN verification is NOT required on the following:
- New motor vehicles that have never been titled, regardless of whether purchased in Florida or out of state
- Mobile homes
- Trailer-type recreational vehicles
- Travel trailers
- Camp trailers
- Truck campers
- Fifth wheel recreational trailers
- Trailers and semitrailers with a weight of less than 2,000 pounds
- Vehicles currently titled in Florida